Sunny Studio Stamps: Tropical Birds & Shadow Box Card Tutorial

 

Hello Crafty Friends! I am so honored to be back to Guest Design for Sunny Studio Stamps. Today I am on the Sunny Studio Stamps Blog sharing a couple of birthday cards that I made with the adorable Tropical Birds Stamps set. This set contains 6 super cute birds, flowers, leaves and the most beautiful vine.


Happy Bird Day! For my first card, I have a shadow box card featuring these cute Tropical Birds. I love boxcards! Today, I am going to show you how to make your own shadow box card from scratch. I am convinced that this is the easiest way to make a shadow box card and the best part ... (drumroll please) ... no special die needed! When upright, the card measures 4.25" by 4.25". It flattens to 4.25" x 5.25" when folded and can easily fit into a standard A2 size envelope. The only die that you need is any die of your choice to create the front window. If you know of an easier way to create a shadow box card, please comment below. I would love to know. So let's get started.


I stamped the images from Tropical Birds Stamps set onto some Neenah Solar White 110 lb cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and used the coordinating Tropical Birds Dies to diecut them out. I colored them with Copic markers and accented with a white gel pen.


COPIC COLORS: 
Green Bird: YG0000/00/01/03/17, Y38 YR04, RV10
Pink Bird: RV000/10/21/13/14, Y38 YR04/07, W5, RV10
Yellow Bird: Y000/11/13/15 V12, Y38 YR04/07, W5, RV10
Vine/Leaves: YG00/01/03/17
Branch: E21/23/25/27
Flowers: RV10/21/13/14, Y11/13/15 RV21/13, Y13

For the background, I took a piece of Bristol Smooth cardstock (4.25" x 4.25") and blended with Tumbled Glass and Salty Ocean Distress Oxide inks.


For the shadow box card, I took a piece of white cardstock (4.25" x 11") and used a score board to score at the 1", 5.25', 6.25" and 10.5" marks. (This will result in a long card with 5 panels which I will refer to, from left to right, as: left, front, right, back and a 0.5" end tab.) I used the second largest circle die (3.5") from the Stitched Circle Large Dies set to diecut a window into the center of the "front" panel (see photo). 

I stamped one of the sentiments from the Tropical Birds stamp set directly onto the lower right corner of the "front" windowed panel. I folded along the score lines. 


I adhered the inked backgound panel to the inside of the "back" panel of the boxcard. The colored images were adhered to the inside of the front panel. I closed off the boxcard by adhering the 0.5" end tab to inside of the 1" wide left panel with some strong double sided tape.


A-parrotly It's Your Birthday! My second card is a 5.25" square birthday card featuring the Tropical Birds, Scalloped Square 2 Large Dies, and Stitched Square Dies. I absolutely adore square shaped cards and was so excited to see FIVE square die sets during this last release. 

I stamped, diecut and colored the images from Tropical Birds Stamps set in the same manner as my first card. 


COPIC COLORS: 
Birds 1 & 3: YG0000/00/01/03/17, B0000/000/00/02/04, Y38 YR04/07, W5, RV10
Pink Bird: RV000/10/21/13/14, Y0000/000, Y38 YR04, RV10
Vine/Leaves: YG00/01/03/17
Branch: E21/23/25/27
Flowers: RV21/13

I used the largest die from the Scalloped Square 2 Large Dies and the third largest die from the Stitched Square Dies to diecut the two panels out of white cardstock. I trimmed two slightly larger squares out of pink cardstock to mat the white panels.


I stamped one to the sentiments from the Tropical Birds set directly onto the smaller stitched square panel. I layered and adhered the squares. I adhered the colored images with foam tape for a bit of dimension and interest. Finally, I adhered the panel to a 5.25" square white card base.


As always, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and visit today. I hope you liked my cards. Be sure to check out the Sunny Studio Stamps Shop for more info and ideas. Please also visit my INSTAGRAM feed for more inspirations.

Have a wonderful and crafty day!

Hanh

Comments